Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stupidest play in baseball

the stupidest play in baseball is when the runner slides into first base

yes, if the throw to first pulls the first baseman off the bag then sometimes it pays to slide to avoid the tag

but how often do you see a guy slide into first just because it's going to be a close play? doesn't continuing to run at full speed get you to the base quicker than sliding at the last second? i've never understood why they do this...oh yes i understand, they think they'll beat the tag...but it never works...what i don't understand is why the coaches don't teach the players not to slide like this at first...anyone know what this is all about???????????

fortius conamur

why would sliding into first be any different than sliding into second or third? i can see sliding into home, but second and third would also be as risky.

Comment

big difference

Sliding into 1st is different than sliding into 2nd or 3rd base because you can run through 1st and not 2nd or 3rd. Running through the base is the fastest way to get to first.

Comment

I guess baseball is going for all the "show" it can get these days.

Comment

It has been proven that sliding into first will take more time than running through the bag. simple fact.

Comment

then why does anyone ever slide into first if it has been provem?

Comment

THAT'S MY QUESTION!!!!

Comment

I think it just has to do with instincts, they don't have time to think about the research or whatever, when they are hustling down the line, it just is instintive. I played b-base for many years and I was always told to run through yet i stupidly would slide(actully hurt myself too). Thats the only reason I got
                Most Plays are 1-5 units

Special Plays may go up to 10 units

Unless noted:
                NFL Sides are -104
                NFL Totals are -105

-RACK EM'-

Chris

Comment

Working...
                X