• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More PayPal woes

Tuesday June 11 10:14 PM EDT
    PayPal Faces Lawsuit Over Internet Account
    By Sue Kwon
    The largest online payment service is based in the Bay Area, and boasts 16 million customers -- but as business transactions on the Internet grow, so can the problems.

Jim White, a Springfield, Missouri customer, registered his complaints about Mountain View-based PayPal on the Internet. He claimed that someone hacked his online payment account and stole $1600 dollars. PayPal insisted no such crime occurred, and froze White's account. So Tuesday, White filed a lawsuit against Paypal in a Missouri district court.

"I've made 58 phone calls and exchanged more than 60 emails," White said. "I've spent 21 days with little sleep."

White said he took matters into his own hands, hunting down the source of the security breech with no help from PayPal. Then, White said, the story took a turn across borders.

"It's an international group of hackers called "Hackers Inc." in the Netherlands," White said. "PayPal's secure layer is not secure all the time ...They caught my user name and password and compromised my account."

PayPal says in these cases, the customers must have allowed their passwords to be stolen, because it insists that the company's system has never been compromised or "hacked."

"We take their information and store it in a secure server using military-grade encryption," said PayPal's Vince Sollitto.

In a sense, PayPal passes the blame back to the customer, saying White must have somehow given up his password in a common email scam. Improbable? Well, it wouldn't be the first time if PayPal's theory is for real.

Mike Syiek uses PayPal to sell computer supplies.

"I received an email that looked exactly like PayPal, and it asked me to provide my company name and password, which I did," Syiek said. "The person who got my name and password was able to withdraw money from my PayPal account."

Tuesday, after Channel 5 called PayPal, Mike Syiek resolved his case, and the company unfroze Jim White's account.

I think this whole Paypal bashing has taken on a life of it's own. I'm not saying that Paypal shouldn't be held responsible for some decisions they make, but I have a hard time believing that everytime a paypal account gets "frozen" that it is their fault. It seems to me that it has turned into a snowball rolling down a hill, where everyone wants to hop on paypal everytime someone posts about a bad experience with them. I have had a paypal account for over a year and have never once had a problem. Maybe it's just me, but I still think they are top notch and would recommend them to anyone.

Comment

Wait until they confiscate your $1,500, refuse to give you any inkling of a reason why and then say not that they're going to pay you in 180 days, but that "they'll review your account again in 180 days".

I've used Neteller and run thousands through it with never a hint of a problem.

Paypal stole my money by "restricting" my account, won't tell me what I supposedly did wrong after I provided every piece of documentation by fax they asked for and had the nerve to say to me "they'll review my account again in 180 days."

I'm sure in 180 days they'll review it again and tell me to check back in another 180 days.

I gave it to my lawyer but the truth is unless I get legal fees either way I lose, whether by paying lawyers or letting these crooks keep my money. I've also used Firepay with never a problem.

Only Paypal is the crook. The more I researched the more I found out I am not alone. There are THOUSANDS of cases like mine. Check www.PayPalWarning.com and www.PayPalSucks.com. See just how many horror stories there are.

If they just would have said they'd "pay" me in 180 days, I would have let it go but to "review my account again", we all know what that means.
      Last edited by Boomer; 06-24-2002, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Boomer:

I been telling people and telling people, but the only ones that hear are the ones who are getting hurt.

When guys like Sports Fanatic get hung up, they see the light, but everyone who isn't getting the shaft from PayPal can't understand why all the bad press.
        As Always - Good Luck,

Sonny

Comment

I don't know all the facts regarding your experience with paypal so I can't stick up for them or condemn them. All I can do is judge them on my experiences with them and from the experiences of people I personally know. I have many friends who have used paypal with no problems. I have moved huge amounts of money through them over the past year. As for those websites, I take that with a grain of salt. I don't know those people any better than the guy I pay to change my oil, so I am not going to judge paypal on their behalf. They could very well be right(who knows?), but I don't know. Hey, to each his own. Different strokes for different folks. I have used neteller and I like paypal much better. But that's just me.

Comment

My account is currently on restriction (because I am too lazy to do anything about it) and I still would trust them more than anyone else only because they are backed and monitored by some big names. They're a vicitim of credit card and fraud crackdown like everyone else. They just need to improve their customer service.

Comment

Working...
            X