Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the betting line designed for?

This came up on Bookies Hell.

The essence of the question is: who do oddsmakers have in mind when they post a line? Is it the general public or the syndicates and wise guys?

Take this year's baseball season. All underdogs have made money consistently through the season. I attribute that to the fact that there are millions and millions of new bettors online.

But Ronbets, a very knowledgeable poster, says the theory is wrong. He asks how many squares it would take to make up for one syndicate. Good point. I don't know.

Does anyone have factual information about this? Before you dismiss the general public, remember that there are millions of people now betting online.

Not only do I find this very intersting, but I'd also like to know if I should dismiss the underdog theory for the NFL season.

Alex,

I have learned over the years that not many bookmakers or linemakers care too much about the public money. The line is made with the sharp players in mind.

There are certain situations where it's obvious the public will like one side or the other. That's not a problem thought because you can just move the number. This isn't that bad if they keep laying the bad number. Those players will still play the game even though it moved and some will think it's an even better play. Most bookies love this as these are the kind of players they want anyway.

The betting line has to protect the books from the so-called wiseguys. These guys will drill every bad line the linemaker puts out. This is a tough job as there are a lot of sharp players out there.

The public more or less will play the games (or teams) they like and the line isn't going to change what they play that much.

Most books will have a couple sharp players that they like or are friends with call them first. This way the books (who are clueless) can have some kind of idea what numbers were good and what numbers were bad.

Remember... You have to stop the sharp players from beating you day after day because they KEEP THE MONEY THEY WIN. Some books will just 86 these players and claim they are some other kind of book that really doesn't take WINNERS action.

Public players might beat you really good every now and then, but they will play more and more and the books will make good money off these players. If you are scared of the public money you need to do something else.....

Comment

Working...
    X