I.P. ADDRESS QUESTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I.P. ADDRESS QUESTION

Is it possible for three different posters to have the exact same I.P.address?

Without a doubt....

If its a un*x box you could have many-many-many users.

FF

Comment

Anybody have a more detailed explanation in layman's term's.

Would they all have to be in close proximity location wise?

[This message has been edited by REALITY (edited 05-03-2000).]

Comment

Yes it is possible, especially if it is a Las Vegas Cable Modem. You will probably see several posters with the exact same ip address as me. It seems all posts from LVCM show up with the same ip address.

[This message has been edited by t-bone (edited 05-03-2000).]

Comment

REALITY:

A unix box is a a term for a multi-user computer system which allows access to many users. These systems are run on operating systems like AIX on IBM, VMS on VAX and others.

One IP would be given to the box and this
          box would run a TCP/IP stack and communicate
          with the rest of the world probably by an Ethernet cable.

Users can dial into this box from anywhere
          which would have a modem rack as access. If they send messages from this machine only 1 IP address would show up...

FF

[This message has been edited by Fedya Fussball (edited 05-03-2000).]

Comment

That answers my question,thank you.

Comment

The most likely case where users would have identical ips is where a company uses a single ip address for all its employees. This is a pretty common practice. The last two companies I worked at did this. You got a spoofed IP address internally, but to the outside world, everyone had the same ip address.

Comment

T-BONE,
                That makes 4 addresses with yours.
                Your address was the one I was looking at.
                No accusations,just an observation...

Comment

Reality, you really are bored.

Comment

SPORTSHOBBY,

Paranoia strikes deep...
                    I merely made an oservation...

Comment

Reality

glad you're still posting

i for one am keen to hear more from you regarding sports betting/booking

are you gonna stick around?

Comment

don't worry fred, reality is going after george foreman's record for coming out of retirement.

Comment

Don't forget Lance's record, too.

Comment

WOLFMAN,SPORTSHOBBY,

It's comments like this that convinced me some people just can't accept REALITY...

Brian has been advised via e-mail to invalidate REALITY'S password.

I'm sure you two gentleman will be more than happy to answer any questions that may be addressed to REALITY...

VAYA CON DIOS!!!

REALITY

Comment

REALITY:

Your question as to why T-bone has 4 different IP addresses can be applied to me as well...

You probably haven't noticed my posts much on BW, but if had you would notice that although some IP addresses were the same, some were different but pretty close...

My access to BW is through 2 machines - One is through a Un*x type box and the other a PC. These would be 128.96.142.3 and 128.96.142.248. Then there is a range which almost always looks like
                              128.96.2.xxx. The first two set of triplets are the same but the third is different to my regular machines that I use and the 4th triplet is invariably rarely repeated. This is probably the same for T-bone with some modification depending on how the webtv routers are set up.

In my case, its because I'm dialling in from home.
                              This means that me modem will connect a modem rack then it will go to the firewall node and route me
                              to a server. Then the server will connect me with the real world and give me a connection via the 4th triplet...

Cheers,
                              FF

[This message has been edited by Fedya Fussball (edited 05-04-2000).]

Comment

Working...
                              X