Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Moneyline format - origination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Moneyline format - origination?

Ok, do any of you 'oldtimers' or other assorted experts know why the American moneyline format on favorites originated as it did? Was it so the local bookie could suck the mug punter into overbetting favorites and make even more money because mental arithmetic is beyond your average losing punter?

This has intrigued me for a while, and nothing else seems to make sense?

Not sure exactly what your question is.

Originally baseball was the most bet sport and had, of course, a money line since a run line wouldn't attract action. Football betting also had a money line, because that was what everyone was used to, until the late 30's or early 40's. Then - football went to a point spread, like we have today, and betting on this sport really took off.

The point spread in football was, and is, dominant. Recently, in the past 10 years or so, the money line has come back for football. However, it is almost like a proposition bet, with the main action on football still being based upon the pointspread.

The three main things that have brought sports betting in the US to what it is today are:

1. The origination of the point spread in football

2. The lowering of the tax on sports wagersin Nevada in the early 70's.

3. The development of internet sports wagering.

Books have always shaded favorites, whether on the money line or point spread because that is what the average guy plays.

However, in the last five years or so it seems that they are not shading them as much - maybe because of the growing sophistication of the average bettor. There is a tremendous amout of information available now that wasn't available 5 years ago.

I only bet football - but my guess is that they shade favorites more in bases and baskets because of the short time frame involved.

The football bettor has all week to figure out the line - the bases or baskets player has only a few hours and may be more likely to bet favorites than the football bettor.

Most likely the bases and hoops bettors on the forum know better than I do about this.

-Zip

Comment

that stuff I know

what I mean is, why is it

-150 the quote for a favorite

not $1.60 or 2/3?

The only reason I could see for this would be to encourage people to bet the 150 to win 100, so they lose more.......
      obviously encouraging that means giving less change too

has not happened anywhere else that has been sports betting for a long time

Comment

not $1.60 of course

$1.67 is what I meant

DOH

Comment

You know I have wondered the same thing AV. I actually never saw decimal odds until I started betting online. American moneyline odds were all I was used to and they seemed to make sense at the time, but decimal odds are obviously much more logical especially when calculating parlays. Of course I am still waiting for the metric system here in the US too

Comment

yeah, bit of mental arithmetic required to convert US favorites in multiples bets to work out your return, no wonder people ask that all the time about baseball

obviously no one knows the answer to this, that is still alive, anyway

Comment

Working...
            X